Brazilian midfielder, Luiz Gustavo, will miss the 2015 Copa America Tournament in Chile in order to undergo knee surgery and will be replaced by the young Fred (Shakhtar Donetsk), the CBF Football Confederation said on Wednesday.
Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), one of the survivors of the team that failed in the 2014 World Cup, is the fourth loss from Dunga's original roster, after goalkeeper Diego Alves, lateral Marcelo and midfielder Oscar also would not be available to play.
"Luiz Gustavo had already complained of pains before the commission, which was confirmed by the diagnosis of knee surgery," the statement said.
Fred, an Olympic team member at 22 years of age, was already on the list of 30 pre-registered players by Dunga for the Copa America and got the chance to play in two preparatory friendlies against Mexico (June 7) and Honduras (June 10).
Frederico Santos Rodrigues plays for Shakhtar since 2013 and before that he wore the shirt of the local Inter. He was summoned by Dunga before last year for two friendlies against Turkey and Austria to replace Romulo, also injured then.
"We have to work hard, is a major championship. The fact that a young player is here is very good, and we have the Olympic Games next year, so we need to grow, continue to work hard, and listen to the older ones who have experience. Take everything, assimilate and bring it to the Olympics, "Fred told a press conference in Teresopolis (southeastern Brazil), where the national team is concentrated.
Brazil will debut at Chile's 2015 Copa America on June 14th against Peru, in the cold and damp Temuco (south). Then, they will face Colombia and Venezuela, who are also part of Group C.
Text and photo: AFP