- The CONMEBOL Copa America 2020 has already a calendar approved by FIFA, the new edition of the tournament will start on June 12, 2020 in Argentina, and the final match will be held in Colombia.
- For the first time the tournament will have two host countries. The objective is to bring South American soccer to all the fans in the continent. Each of the host countries will have group phase matches, two quarter final matches and a semifinal match respectively.
- With this new format a total of 38 matches will be held, and each team will play at least 5 matches in the nearest host country. Australia and Qatar, two last Asian Cup champions, will participate as guest countries and will be placed by lottery in each of the groups formed in the North Zone and South Zone.
The CONMEBOL Copa America 2020 will begin its new edition on June 12, 2020 in Argentina, and will crown the new continental champion in Colombia. The dates of the calendar and matches of the oldest tournament in South America will be announced in the future.
The tournament, which for the first time in history has two host countries, will distribute 38 matches within the two host countries, Colombia and Argentina. The objective is to bring South American soccer to all the fans in the continent. Each of the host countries will hold the matches of the North Zone or South Zone groups, as well as, two quarterfinal matches and a semifinal match, respectively.
The new format will allow each national team to play at least five matches in the nearest host country; and Qatar and Australia, champions of the last two editions of the Asian Cup, will participate as guest countries, as announced by the Confederation Council on June 13. Each of these countries will be placed by lottery in one of the two groups that are formed in the initial phase, as follows:
- North Zone: Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru and one of the guest country.
- South Zone: Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and one of the guest country.
In each group, four teams will qualify. These national teams will do their very best to reach the grand final. The final match will be held in Colombia after nineteen years in 2001. The new champion of South American football will be crowned in Colombia.